Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Urge to Purge

Yes, the "Urge" has struck our home yet once again; this time it comes in the form of old toys, clothing and various sundry items that have been posted on Freecycle, given away as hand-me-downs or donated to charity. Each year I go on a MAJOR binge. My children hide, my husband cheers me on until I discover his secret stash of random computer parts/cables or his favorite pair of shoes that have seen better days and I work myself into a sweaty lather and need to reapply deodorant more than once before lunch time rolls around. What can I say? A fun time is had by all.

Seriously though, soon after Christmas it seems that I get a feel of what the kids don't need anymore or what they're not going to play with and I feel empowered to rid my apartment of all the extraneous schtuff that we've accumulated. A select few items actually hit the eBay auction block, the rest just isn't worth the time it takes to list. Those items are actually things that people in the real world would want--go figure.

If you have been hit with The Urge, I'd encourage you to check out a site like Freecycle or Craigslist and see if someone in your area would be interested in what you've got. It keeps one more thing out of the landfill and makes one person a few dollars richer. Call it karma, call it paying-it-forward, whatever way you look at it you'll feel better when it's all said and done.

:)

No comments: