Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Getting Creative in the Kitchen

I've always considered myself fairly creative, especially when it comes to cooking. I think I'm a pretty good chef but I wouldn't call myself "gourmet" by any means--we just eat down home, fill yer gut and make you happy food around these parts. :) Every now and again I will whip up something nice but we mostly eat casseroles and my famous one-pot-wonders in our home.
Anyhow, I have hoped that I would be able to pass these traits on to my girls. I've been taking them to the craft store to help me choose little crafts that we can make together, I've taken them to help me choose fabric to make them clothes and we look online at girlie dresses and things to help us come up with ideas to make them cute little outfits. I also try and have them help me in the kitchen every chance I get. Setting the table, measuring ingredients, cutting out cookies... heck, they even know the trick about using dental floss to cut the dough for cinnamon rolls.
Well, I think I can say today that I've successfully passed on the creative culinary gene to at least one of my children; today Lara came up with her very own creation at snack time: animal cracker and green pepper sandwiches! She says they're rather tasty, but I think I'm going to take her word on that.
In the meantime, I'll keep sliced green peppers and animal crackers on hand so Lara can make herself some finger sandwiches at will. :)

No comments: