Monday, February 4, 2008

What's a cookin'?

I'm a little odd when it comes to meal time I suppose; I try to incorporate as many colors as possible when serving up food and I always try to have a protein, a starch and a veggie. Tonight, I failed miserably. Aside from our perky green Brussels sprouts, our colors were sad. We had:

Glazed Boneless Pork Chops (a brownish shade)
Stuffing (again, brown)
Brussels Sprouts (happy green)
Green Beans (green again...)
Mashed purple potatoes (blue-ish purple, but in the same family as the greens)

Why we had two greens I cannot tell you. At the last minute Bill stepped in to "help" me out with dinner and he put the sprouts on the stove. Then he thought that he would spice up the beans with some olive oil, balsamic vinegar and some herbs. We all thought that they were less than desirable.

I will say that I LOVE purple potatoes! I used to call them blue potatoes as that's what the local farmers termed them where I used to live. Anyhow, they make the *best* mashed potatoes ever! Give 'em a try sometime--they taste great and kids enjoy the fun color on their plate. :)

No comments: